Islanders to NHL: "We're Still Here!"
With the Islanders recent streak of 4-0-2 in their last 6 games, this young team is starting to get into the swing of things. With this team being only six points out of a playoff spot, there is still plenty of time to climb up the ladder. If the Isles can keep up this recent streak of success, they will be in good shape.
It is only December and the NHL has the longest season out of any other professional sport out there. Currently the Islanders are 9-11-6 with a lot of the season still left to play.
What Needs to Change?:
- Every team has that area that needs improvement; for the Islanders, it's defense. The defense had really picked up in these last few games but they need to keep it up.
- The dump and chase game needs to go. Dating back to the Scott Gordon era, the dump and chase game has been the Isles style of play. The Islanders need to be in "attack the net" mode the whole game and recently it has been paying off.
- Looking at the defense from an offensive standpoint, it is clear that they need to contribute to the scoring as well. With Mark Streit leading the scoring with 2 goals and 13 assists, more d-men have to make their presence known in the offense category.
- More production from the 3rd and 4th lines. This team cannot rely on the Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau line to put all the points on the board.
What Should Stay the Same?:
- This teams confidence coming off a win should never change. When this team is on a roll, everyone seems to know where everyone is.
- The Islanders recent tendencies of going to the net; When you throw the puck at the net, good things are bound to happen.
- Keep using the body. There has been a significant improvement in the physical play as of late. Not only Matt Martin is stepping up, but other players as well. (Quick note: Matt Martin leads the NHL in hits)
The call ups have been making noise recently for the Isles. Dylan Reese scored on Saturday night in Dallas and Tim Wallace recorded an assist on Tuesday night against the Lightning.
The Islanders seem to be sticking with Al Montoya in the goalie department. Which is the smartest move right now, even with Kevin Poulin up from Bridgeport, Jack Capuano needs to stay with a goalie who he feels confident in. When was the last time that the fans had full confidence in a goaltender before Al Montoya? Osgood? MacDonald? Danis? Post your opinion in the comments!
This Islanders team has finally had enough with being "doormats" to other teams. This team cannot let down their guard due to the race being so close at this point.
The Islanders are in it this season and if they keep up this point streak, they will be right in the mix when it counts.
Follow me on Twitter! - @EvanPivnickNYI